Follow by Email

Monday, January 31, 2011

Gestational Diabetes

So today was the day...the 3 hour Glucose Tolerance Test. Which was totally as unpleasant as I've heard, and I felt pretty much like crap all day.  Fasting for 16 hours and then having someone jack with your glucose levels and draw blood 4 times in 3 hours doesn't do much for the soul, or the body it turns out.  I was all headachy and hungry, and then had this massive crash and felt like I could barely stay awake.  I ended up sleeping for several hours this afternoon when I got home.  I figured it would be worth it when I heard in a few days that the results were normal and I could proceed with my pregnancy as planned.  That was until 4:30 or so, when the nurse called to say my results were in fact, abnormal, and I was diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes.  Mother Eff! They want me to be seen as soon as possible in Endocrinology for nutritional counseling, diabetic teaching, and possibly further information from the Endocrinologist. So, that's what I'm doing first thing tomorrow.

At first I was really upset and felt like I had done something wrong to make this happen - not watched my diet well enough, didn't get enough exercise, something.  But the bits I've read so far today show that about 4% of all pregnant women get GD and there really isn't always an identifiable cause. I have none of the risk factors, at least for this pregnancy, other than the initial screen which showed impaired glucose tolerance a few weeks ago.  (Info taken from I'm trying not to obsess about all the potential negatives, and just focus on what I can do to control it.  I'll learn more tomorrow, and go from there I guess. It's just what I have to do.  I want her here safely, and with as little negative impact on my own body as I can manage.

More updates when I have some...

1 comment:

  1. Carole (Grandma) TiceFebruary 1, 2011 at 3:37 PM

    Hi, Tanya. First - I LOVE this diary - it is wonderful to read and see everything. Please know I think of you and Matt and your NEW DAUGHTER!! every day. I am so excited for you.

    I'm sorry to hear about the gestational diabetes - I had a minor bout with it with Leah but it turned out fine. I found that the diet wasn't bad because I lost all desire for the stuff I was to avoid and I'm sure that helped. I hope it isn't too big of a problem for you.

    I do so hope your placenta previa resolves. When I was pregnant with Matt, he was turned "sunny side up" which resulted in a long difficult labor but they didn't do cesaerians as often then and he finally managed to turn himself around - an immediate and sudden change that got me going instantly - had to argue with the nurse about it when I suddenly HAD to push him out RIGHT NOW! He was definately ready, cried as soon as his little head was out,even before we knew whether he was a boy or a girl!

    Leah was breech until the very end, they had planned on a cesaerian - guess it scared her into moving - very, very weird feeling, since I was already full term but my water broke the next night; I was having contractions first but didn't recognize it because the labor was so different from when I had Matt - all back labor with him because of his position - and she was set to go - very quickly. I also went through frequent checkups with her because of severe cervical displasia which progressed during the pregnancy, and led to my need for a hysterectomy that fall. After she was born and Matt first saw her, he told his dad "she has a red face and red hair."

    So - every pregnancy is different and has its ups and downs but most always works out great in the end. Take heart - it seems to go on forever and then you can't believe how quickly it's gone by and you have a wonderful new little person! It is a wonderful and amazing thing and once you see her, she will be your miracle!

    So hang in there, it really will go so quickly now, and your FANTASTIC new nursery will be filled with something wonderfully unimaginable.

    Love you all,