Friday, November 19, 2010

Oh the indignity of it all

I think I have crossed the threshold and have begun to earn my rungs on the ladder to motherhood...I have now sneeze-peed! One little unassuming sneeze, and with it went the tiniest bit of my bladder control along with a little shred of my dignity! Then of course, I laughed, which made it no better, and at that point the mad dash to the bathroom was quite a sight. At least this was at home and not at work! I know this is only the beginning, which makes all the funnier to me, because as much as I think I know what's coming I really have no clue yet all the fun things I can expect my body to do to betray me over the next 22 weeks! I will say that aside from crummy "morning sickness" (which = all day sickness in my case lately) I am really enjoying this experience for the most part, but I still have so much to learn and watch my body do all on its own. This is the first time in my life when I have been able to watch my body undergo a transformation that has nothing to do with anything I have control over...it's a little strange but for the most part I'm finding it to be pretty cool. I'm used to setting my mind to they way I want to change my body and getting to work making it happen - eating better, exercise and weights to target certain things, etc. But this entire body take-over is something of a different kind of beast, a horse of a different color, and it's weird, exciting, exhausting, and a little body dysmorphia-inducing, but still such a wonderful experience I'm lucky to be able to have.

I'm still waiting for the little movements to turn into bigger movements, but I guess I shouldn't wish that to happen too soon because I'm sure a point will come when I wish someone would stop kicking me in the ribs already! I'm just excited for the day when Matt will be able to finally feel something going on in there after all these months!

6 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to my husband being able to feel the baby kick as well, though I'm still waiting for *me* to be able to feel that. Despite what everyone says it feels like, I haven't felt that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't feel it often...in fact I felt it around 15w+4 and then not again until this week, and even now it's very sporadic. I'm noticing some more today but it's just really hard to tell sometimes! I hope you feel it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling your little one move at first is so exciting. I am at the point were I am just ready to meet our little guy. It is an exciting journey, enjoy it. I hope everything continues to go well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I have to say is Kegels...do them :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you Molly :) yes I'm practicing them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm hoping that comment was from Molly, not Joel ;)

    ReplyDelete